Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Genesis 1:1-3:24

Being the chronological Bible we are going to start this right at the beginning with the creation story. This is the part of the Bible I have read the most, but it is best to stay with the entire goal and not skip things.

There are a few things that have jumped out at me. In the initial creation story, the seven days, I remembered a professor tracing how science says the world began and this story. What was interesting is it happened in the exact same order, but different words. For example: "Let there be light" is the "big bang" and the order of species is the same starting with that in the water. When finishing my notes from this class I plan on posting them for a review. I have many students now who would find this fascinating.

One of the phrases in the opening section of the Bible that always captures my attention is when God breathes the breath of life into man's nostrils. I guess what perplexes me is the choice of nostrils rather than mouth. When we use CPR to save someone's life it is always centered on the mouth and plugging the nostrils. I hope one day to understand why it is framed as nostrils or if there is a reason. 

One of the footnotes I was drawn to was the during the passages of man and woman being created. It stated that the Hebrew for woman sounds like Hebrew for man. This may have been a play on words, but also intriguing how they could be interchanged or even mixed up. 

The trinity is also evident already as we are created in Gods image. God says "Let us make man in our image..." Noticing these things makes me understand Christianity more and how the theological takes are consistent throughout the entire Bible. 

The passage I read ended with Adam and Eve being removed from the garden. It is in God's declaration to Adam that I noticed a verse/symbol that was used this evening. "you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken for dust you are and dust you will return." On this night that we put ashes, or dust, on our forehead to remind us of repentance. We are reminded to turn to God and to draw near. Just as the Jewish people would return to the temple, God's presence, when they repented so must we. This line has allowed me to see God is guiding me through this journey and confirming the direction. It is not this often that I get to see a clear sign, but tonight that is what I feel I am given. For this I am grateful. 

I am excited to journey across the desert with God. I do not know what He wishes to show me but I eagerly await the lessons and moments in His lap. Humbled, as lowly dust, I dedicate my work to honor and glorify Hosanna in the Highest. 

No comments: