Friday, December 19, 2008

Snow days

The entire area has been hit hard by snow. Redmond has around a foot of snow. While Seattle has gotten off far easier the city has basically shut down because of ice on the hills. I have spent the last two days in my home and playing outside in the snow. It has brought out a few things that I have been working through on the blog recently that I want to dig deeper into now. 

The first is how little things, or big depending on your view, can change our routines and get us uncomfortable. The big snow day Kessia and I got up and watched the snow fall down. We sat in silence and just enjoyed God's creation and the beauty of it. We enjoyed the simplicity and the way that the snow would dance in the air. The wind would knock the snow hard one direction and then the other. I could see different air currents in the snow patterns. It was fascinating and mesmerizing. 

Once up and found ourselves again watching as people tried to get up the hill right outside. They scrapped off their cars. Piled in and attempted the hill. You could hear the revving of the engines as people pushed harder hoping to take advantage of any traction. A few people seemed to be out helping by pushing cars up and doing what they can to help people get out. It is this theme that I saw repeated several times throughout the day. When our plans became dashed we no longer hinder ourselves to talk to neighbors, help out strangers, and support others in their lives. 

I took part in the pushing of cars later on when a resident of Radford became stuck on the hill. I had been building a Igloo, but that could wait when someone needed me. How often do we feel that on other days? Our downstairs neighbors were flying out that day and needed some assistance to make their trip possible. This opened up conversation and let us get to know them a little better. 

Why can't we do these things normally? What hinders us? We claim to be busy, or that it is none of our business. We seem to think that it will harm someone to ask if they need help or request help ourselves. I imagine how the day would have gone without the snow. Our downstairs neighbors would have stopped at a library when their printer wouldn't work. I would not have been able to help someone stuck in their car. 

These seem like simple things. Is this not what our possessions do to us? Is this not what our grand plans inhibit us from doing?  The verse that stuck out to me is how we are to go out a preach the good news and take nothing with us (Matthew 10: 5-10). What am I carrying that stops me from talking with people that I run into? 

I have to be honest. I can see in my minds eye many people that I encountered in the supermarket the other day that looked like they were struggling. What did I do? I got my food and got out so I could save time, and money. These unexpected opportunities, whether snow storm or unexpected encounter, can bring us face to face with Jesus. How will we respond? 

I love days like this that break up everyones plans. Many see it as disaster. I see it as a beautifully simple. As a snowflake dancing in the wind. Lord guide me. Blow away my plans and guide me to rest in your peace where you need me, each and every day. 

No comments: