Thursday, October 21, 2010

Is it the leadership or is it the followers?

Today I received an email from a member of church asking to no longer help out with Sunday School. Serves me right for checking my email on a day off. That said it got me thinking.

The church I am at now has a mostly older congregation. Without their support the ministry can not happen. Since I arrived we have lost at least 10 Sunday school leaders (I think closer to 15) which would be roughly 1/3 of our volunteer base. As a result I am now behind the bullet. With the loss of each volunteer it means more work for others to pick up (or more likely me and I can't be in two places at once). The parents recently have requested more classes (splitting age groups) so to be more content appropriate. This is quickly becoming not possible. Thus leaving me, and the children in a bind.

The part that gets me is that this church has constantly talked about wanting to grow. Well we have two-three new families coming now. I guarantee they will be leaving shortly if we have to start canceling Sunday School. It makes me want to scream! If you (church members) want the church to grow then support the growth that is happening! Stop abandoning the youth and children and step up to the plate!! Your actions and words do not match so figure out what is important or let it die and do not complain about it.

The other thing to think about is maybe my leadership or the pastors is failing. I have not been able to gather in many new volunteers. It is quite possible that that is my failure to bring up the issue, ask for help, or recognize gifts.

I am at my wits end with this and ready to let sunday school (and thus the children's ministry) die if no one finds this important enough to support. I pray other churches are able to cultivate the faith of their children and youth with multigenerations unlike we are. Please pray for us to have a solution and embrace what God is doing.

No comments: