Monday, January 4, 2010

Kindred Spirits

There are some spirits in our lives that we run across that we bond with. We grow close through shared experiences and touch each other's lives. We see the same attitude, passion, and expressions in each other. Words need not be spoken because both know the bond is there. A simple look and you both know what each other are thinking. It is not often that we find this deep bond in our lives. When we do it is something to cherish.

I lost a kindred spirit two days ago.

It is hard for me to think about. Harder for me that I know the world would not understand the depth of the pain as my kindred spirit was my cat, Nike. I know most would shrug this off and not understand that he was more than a pet. He and I bonded on a spiritual level. We shared many moments, memories, and joys. I know that he knew he was loved. I wish I just had a way to tell him how much.

Harder still is I don't know what happens after death for animals. I pray and hope that he too will receive an afterlife. It hurts just that there is a possibility that a spiritual friend, like Nike, and I may never meet again. The unknown on this scares me.

Then comes the pain that I have cried more for his death than for relatives. The guilt of this stings, yet it is the truth. Is it ok to have been more connected to a cat than a person?

While I work through these sad thoughts I do know one thing, he was a soul friend. We had fun (he better have with all the catnip I gave him!). We had battles of stubbornness. We had deep bonded moments of care and support in as each other struggled in life. He laid with me. He cheered me up. He made me laugh. I comforted him in his injuries. Cared for his needs. Protected him from fireworks and small children. We headbutted one another like a bunch of silly guys. We played together.

I will miss my cat. I will miss him as a friend, loved one, and kindred spirit.

RIP Nike
I love you

No comments: