Saturday, January 30, 2010

All in a day at church

Often funny things happen at church. There might be a little goof up, or a great joke. Sometimes its just one of those "life" things that happen and you can't help but laugh. Well the other day Kessia and I had five of those things happen, mostly thanks to my wife!

Quotables
The first story comes from Sunday School. I went first to check in on the young kids and then went over to middle school sunday school. When I got there Kessia was leading the class and talking about theme parks like Disneyland. Once I came they settled down to the lesson at hand.

The passage dealt with Jesus reading a passage from Isaiah. This is a very difficult passage, especially for young kids. They did their best and we tried to bring it to their level. The first part we tackled was bringing good news to the poor. We asked what they thought that good news might be. Of course they answered with money, a home, ect. (surprisingly they did not say food). I knew I would be an instigator in this lesson. I pushed harder and asked them what they would really want to hear if they were poor. I had to also ask does money always bring happiness.

At this point the kids start talking about Crab in Spongbob Squarepants. That is when my wife busts out with a quote from a rapper. "Mo money, Mo problems!" She exclaimed! I started laughing so bad and all the 11 year old kids had no idea what was going on. When's the last time Notorious B.I.G made it into your Sunday School!


Going to the warehouse
After a long morning my wife and I slumped into a couple of chairs in the fellowship hall. A few of the older women walked over and said hello and asked us how we were. We said good but tired. They wanted to know why and my wife responds, "Yesterday Nate took the kids to a warehouse..." Again, I started laughing as it sounded just wrong. Now Kessia contends that she just had a short pause and then she said to jump on trampolines. Priceless pause!

Who's the Cheater?
Then, after all that we still had more to go (yeah my wife is awesome that she still even comes to church with me!). We went for a pizza lunch with the confirmation students and the pastor at our church. We centered this lesson on who Jesus is to us. After a few times around the circle one of the dads joked that he wanted to just cheat and copy all Kessia's answers. Kessia quickly responds, "Nate used to cheat off me in high school!" I wanted to slap my forehead! I responded quickly, "No, we worked on the notes together and then I made a copy for the test." Trying to save myself to keep a little authority with the kids. "No," she responds. "You didn't do any of the work and still got a better grade!" At that I turned a brand new shade of red I am sure.

HA!
At confirmation we had another great laugh. The dad, from the previous story, mentioned Lorenzo Romar in one of his answers in talking about faith and Jesus. Our pastor looks at the dad honestly and with an honest blank look says, "Who is that?" In the quiet room a loud "HA!" bursts out from next to the pastor as Kessia could not hold in a laugh. The pastor turns, laughing, and says "Well, I guess its someone I should know!"


Who is that?
After our pizza confirmation lunch the pastor, whom I have worked with for over a year, and I started talking about all things church. Midway through the conversation she asks me "So which families are all coming on the retreat?" I start to list them off, "The Johnsons, the Smiths, the Danielsons, and the Goldblooms." She recognized all but one of the families. She replied "Who are the Goldblooms?" Kessia piped in the conversation at this point and replied, "That's us."

No comments: