Monday, June 15, 2009

To plan or not to plan?

I have been on both sides. I have been the volunteer. Relying on the leader to supply the materials, planning, updates, and organization. I also have been the coordinator that brings those things to sessions, meetings, gatherings, and trainings. Just recently I was reminded of how some volunteers feel towards planning.

It was a few days ago that I received an email giving me the advice to "wing it" with scheduling leaders and planning for Sunday School. This had happened to me in my first week at my church. At then I took it as the individual was used to this style from the previous directors. Now at the end of the year, this new "wing it" suggestion let me know that the vision is not going through. We are stuck in the previous mind set.

I had hoped that after a year the leaders would start to get the idea that we will be planning ahead. There was a training at the beginning of the year letting them know why we needed the correct ratios, background checks, and training for all our leaders with youth. This is for the safety of the children, adults, and the comfortableness in roles in the classroom. I have never had a volunteer express that too much info, planning, leadership by the director made them uncomfortable. It always seems easier to have a plan and move from that as needed.

After my initial frustration with the volunteer, I realize now that I need to keep working at communicating the vision with the parents, leaders, and volunteers. Until the community gets the standard and the expectation we have for students and leaders they are going to continue to resort to the old way, the comfortable way.

Here's to the long journey and constant communication...cheers.

No comments: