Monday, May 18, 2009

The day

Usually, when I come to post I have a specific message to say. Sometimes it might be a thought that is on my mind or something I have been learning. Tonight I want to do something different. This night I want to come with no expectations and see where the wind (God) carries me. This may end up feeling like a wandering post, but that is exactly what it is meant to be, wandering and searching for God.

Right now I am sitting enjoying classical music while my wife works on her homework next to me. I just finished a very tough weekend. I had three events and each one carried with it expectations, prep, and unsure results. I thought I would have two days off before them to rejuvenate, but instead I ran errands and got surprise calls.

One of those calls was from a youth group across the state. They had made plans with us to stay in the church a few weeks before. I had forgotten they were coming since I was focused on the three events I had to do during the weekend. Unfortunately, I was caught on the other side of the lake when they called. I threw everything I had into the car and raced over the 520 bridge. Even though I had spent all day running errands it was this that broke the straw of the camels back and made me realize that I had worked all of my sabbath away.

The group stayed with us and had some wonderful leaders and kids. I enjoyed showing them around the church. Their youth were very attentive and engaging. Like with any guest though there were struggles. Later, on another day off, I have to take things they left and mail them back. While this is very frustrating for me, I am reminded of several scriptures right now.

What is coming to mind is the many times in the Bible where strangers come and stay. There are countless in the Hebrew Bible. There are many in the New Testament, even as people open their homes up for Jesus and his disciples. The disciples were taught to do this when they went to towns.

I often did not think of the hosts when these out of town guests come. Assuredly the guests meant extra work, time, and were often a surprise. All of those before welcomed them and did what they could do to support the mission of spreading the Good news. I can not help but wonder how God would feel about my attitude of frustration with the guests. It was something I wanted to do to support others in their faith, but at the expense of my health and faith? I now hope to rest, having survived the weekend, and be rejuvenated as I will become the guest this next weekend.

No comments: