Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Narnia

I am rereading the Chronicles of Narnia right now.  The hope is to revisit the stories and see what they were really like and see some of the imagery used. Since I work with Kids, this will hopefully provide me other ways to word things so that the children can understand our faith better. So far I have finished the Magician's Nephew. During that book one thing stood out to me above all others. 

 Digory and Polly come to Narnia just as it is being created. C.S. Lewis mirrors the creation story with the children, a witch, uncle, and a cabby watching the scene. The thing that grabbed my attention was not the creation story itself, beautiful as it was to hear again, but the one detail/addition that Lewis makes. The Biblical account has the phrase "God said" repeated over and over. It is this that starts everything in motion. God says and it happens. Aslan does not simply speak things into existence. He sings.

This simple thing spurred my imagination for hours (and still now days later). What would the song sound like? The crescendos, the pitch, the cadence of a song that is to create all life filled my heart with leaps and warmth. I think the thing that caught my attention with this was not just the song, but the tenderness of creating with a song. I had always associated with God as the authority that commands things to happen. Instead of the lover, who tenderly sings us all into existence. I dream of one day hearing the creation song that God, my God, my lover, sings for all of us each and every day.  Till then I will continue to imagine, and listen intently. 

No comments: