Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Examining Isaiah

Today I looked at some passages from Isaiah in preparation for an upcoming lesson. We are doing a lesson on what are some of the promises are that Jesus comes to fulfill. I think this is the perfect time to look at this so that we get a sense in Advent of what we are waiting for. It helps us put this time of the year into context of what we are really celebrating when Jesus is born. So as apart of this lesson I worked to help summarize Isaiah in a short entry. 

I must be honest, I have never read Isaiah all the way through. The book is very complicated and written in such a manor that requires understanding the context to be able to make any sense of what Isaiah is telling us. I usually do not like over simplifications, but I found this very helpful for myself to be able to grasp what is going on in the book. 

What I ended up finding out was amazing for me. Isaiah was preaching/prophesying at a time that Isreal/Sumeria (northern kingdom) and Judah were at a high point. But it was this height that seemed to bring the seeds of their destruction or "sin". The source I read mentioned immorality, political corruption, and idolatry. For the first time I could relate to Isaiah. I feel like this is where we are with the Country right now.  Only I do not fault culture, but the church. The church (certain leaders) seem to get in bed with politicians to gain power and tackle specific issues. Our church has seemed to embrace the worship of materialism (idolatry) and we can see that around Christmas more than any other time. This is not an attack on the culture today, but a realization that I could understand and relate to Isaiah. 

Another power rose in the area, Assyria, and started threatening the Israelites. The northern Kingdom was afraid and the people debated possible responses. Some thought getting allies and help was the best. The others thought to rely and pray to God. It was during much of the fear that Isaiah tells about a coming Savior. This, to me, helps me think about the hope to come. It also can help us put the book of revelation in context. It is not necessarily there to scare us, but to reassure us that there is a plan and that God will deliver us like before.  

As I continued to find, the northern kingdom falls to Assyria, but Jerusalem is able to stand against the force. The with standing the onslaught was attributed to the leader (king) praying in ernest and God coming through. How good is God when we are faithful!!!

In the end, I have something another youth minister mentioned to me as we were looking at using this passage. She said: "Why don't we ask the kids about why they need a savior today."

Reflecting on this question I know I need a Savior. There are so many things that I can mess up, fail to do, sin, or even miss represent Christ. I wonder some times if I am just teaching the Bible or ACTUALLY living it. At the Catholic church there was a group confession at the beginning of many masses that went along these lines: Forgive me for my sins, what I have done and what I have failed to do. There was never a week were I did not resonate with this.

Even with all these questions and short comings I know God still loves me, cherishes me, and desires to be in relationship. It is because of the grace that Jesus brings me through his death that allows me to become reconciled to God. 

I do not know what to do with this but that is ok. The faith life is about a journey not an ending point. I certainly am finding that the more I dig into the Bible that it will really mess you up! ...and that is a beautiful thing!

No comments: